Friday, November 16, 2018

The One Thing Necessary

As Ordinary Time comes to a close this month with the Feast of Christ the King, we are challenged by the scriptural texts to face the reality of death. We do it, but we don’t like it. Why? For a lot of reasons. We don’t feel ready. There is so much yet undone. We feel guilty of “not doing enough. We are not close enough to God…and it goes on and on.



 Deep down we sense we will never really be ready. So what are we to do? We have some valuable hints. Give it up, for one. Give up trying to program our own life. Give up being terrified because we can’t pull it off. Give up the inner tension that is always a sign that I’m on an ego trip. It’s a waste of time.

So as we prepare to meet the King, whether that means the feast or face to face, it’s wise to face facts. First, the Easter mysteries have taught me that the Risen One is now present among us in a different way. He is wherever I am. “You in me and I in you.” What if I remembered this in the morning when I put my feet on the floor? If he dwells in me, then when I see him face to face he won’t be a stranger. That’s his point. So much for my fear. Next, he has taken all my guilt. All of it. Why then do I let it keep haunting me? He loves me so much he can’t seem to remember it. So why do I remain hypnotized by what is gone…instead of staring at that love which will never leave me? These are facts. Faith-facts.

So it comes down to the “one thing necessary.” I will never be “worthy.” I will never be “ready.” I am really not “in charge” of anything. There is only one thing to do. Keep my inner eye on him within me, keep an eye on him in the other person, and live my one little wild life by filling each of my moments with loving gratitude. When I brush my teeth, when I fold laundry, when I drive, when I shop, when I try to pray, when I am sad and when I am glad. That’s all. That’s the “one thing necessary.” It’s all he asks. The rest is gift.
 

Hold me in life
for you are my safety.
Always my eyes are looking for you.

Because you are just who you are,
don’t pass me by but show me your mercy.
I will wait for you all my life.

Are you the One who is to come?
Or must we wait and follow some other?
Lord, my God, I am certain of you.
 

You gave your Word to this our world.
You are my song, the God of my gladness.
My desire goes out to you. (Huub Oosterhuis)

No comments:

Post a Comment