Tuesday, November 7, 2023

When All is Said and Done…

November brings us into the close of the liturgical year and the end of Ordinary Time. The Church, in her wisdom, has been instructing us on how to be a disciple in light of the Paschal Mystery. Jesus’ dying and rising is ever before her eyes, and ours too.

The rhythm of our lives flows from struggle and pain to joy and celebration. No one is excepted, be they believer or non-believer. The difference is that believers and disciples have a clue as to why life is that way. It was that way for the One who came to be with us and who loves us so. Our faith in him shows us how to ‘hang on.’ The ‘seat belt’ that keeps us secure in this roller coaster of life is his gift of Easter peace. He has us tight and safe…we need not fear, though the storm rages around us and in us.

The readings explore this wild ride coming to an end. They reveal the final victory of his Kingship. He is the king who suffers with us and brings us through the storm.

 Servant King,

Your arms are stretched out wide…

No one is excluded from your wide embrace.

 There is room for the most wretched,

the most abandoned, the most hopeless.

Is there room for me?

+

Your heart is open,

like a window without shutters,

Catherine says…

Where I can climb in and hide safely anytime.

+

Your hands are wounded…so are mine.

I’ve used them to grasp, to hold with tightened fists.

Gently pry open my clenched fists

and kiss them…

So I grasp and hold on to nothing but yourself.

+

Your feet are wounded…so are mine.

They’ve taken me to places you would not go.

They’ve taken me far from you,

Until I felt lost and alone.

+

Your head so wounded, pierced and aching,

has plans for me…and in your will is my peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment