Monday, March 9, 2020

Lenten Spring House Cleaning



Wash the windows, wipe down the walls, air the carpets…we know the routine. For our homes, that is. But what about our souls? Lent means springtime, so how do we do a clean-up there?


I suggest you don’t give up anything this Lent. Instead, restore something. Open the windows of your soul and let in the magnificent Light of the Son, within your deepest being since your baptism. That act, done for you by loving parents, filled you with a marvelous light energy, a magnetic field, you might say. You are, spiritually speaking, surrounded by a light-capsule, and that means that you are off-limits to evil when it tries to penetrate your consciousness. Satan and his minions can be quite noisy, yes, but demoted angels can’t penetrate this Son-light. It is made from blood, shed by an unbelievable Lover.

Can we leave our Son-light? Oh, yes…and when we do we become easy prey. Seances, Ouija Board activity, intentional rejection of our baptism, etc. can leave us quite defenseless. Instead, intentionally go home often during the day to the center of your dear soul this Lent. He waits for you there, in all the risen beauty of his (and your) transformed humanity. Sit with him and let him look his love into you. He puts on his apron, takes his basin, and the cleaning begins. He is a meticulous housekeeper. Not a speck of smelly egoism will escape his keen eye. You too will become more conscious of it: blaming, shaming, complaining, whining, and rage are all evidence of a wounded ego. Up your attention to the coming Lenten readings. They will give you instructions on how to help him houseclean. Do a little dance this Lent, and whistle while you work…!


Loving Lord,
Servant King,
My foot-washing God,
You sit me down in my little place in this world,
You would bid me receive your service?
But all within me protests – it is I who should serve.
No. There are times when the grime is so deep
only you can remove it.
I stand helpless with my band-aid when I need neurosurgery.
Houseclean my heart.
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment