Tuesday, October 1, 2019

The “Little Ones” Get it Right…


It is harvest time in this part of the world, and the Liturgical season seems to reflect this reality. The texts are pointing out “fruit” or the results in us of the wonders of the Paschal Mystery. The Spirit is working to produce results in our lives.
During this month we are presented with Therese, with Martin, with our angels…with the Queen of the Most Holy Rosary, and the final Sunday of October wraps the month up with a central truth: God is God…and we are not. This realization is the most important fruit of all.
The “little ones,” Therese, Martin, the angels, and the maid of Nazareth get it right. They are so great because God has done such marvelous things for them. They know it, they live it, and they love it.
Therese said that she would just stand there, and God would see how little she was. Then he would reach down and pick her up, and give her whatever she asked. Martin, the mulatto, cleaned latrines, and the Dominicans finally invited him to become a Dominican brother. The angel each of us has (have you taken advantage of this relationship?) delight in doing God’s bidding. And Mary…Mary’s first respond to Gabriel was our equivalent of “Who, me?”
They teach us the proper real proportion which is humility. They know they have nothing, are nothing, do nothing without God…the truth of all truths. Maybe the scriptures of this month can foster this golden fruit in us. Maybe we too can finally shake off the arrogance, the sense of privilege, the haughtiness that makes us a pain instead of a joy…to God and to those who know and love us. Yup…the little ones get it right.

*******************************************************************
It clings to me like some BO…
My sense of self-importance.
My sense of privilege
Like God owes me.
How can God owe me when my very existence is his gift?
I think I have a fever.
I think my ego is swollen.
Help!
Bend down and cool me off…
Hold me and draw out the infection…
Help me see straight.
Fill me with that quiet assurance
That you have me and will never let me go.


No comments:

Post a Comment