Tuesday, July 9, 2019

The Challenge…Rejoice always…?





As we enter more deeply into this post-Easter time, a scripture has caught my attention and it occurred to me that it was spot on as a way to live out our charism/mission statement and focus as a community. It was so challenging that I will post it here and then comment only of the first imperative it offers.  It is found in the first piece of scripture written, the first letter to the Thessalonians:

“Rejoice always; pray without ceasing; give thanks in every situation,
for this is the will of God for you in Christ Jesus.”  1 Thess. 5: 17-18.

Paul, who has had an unforgettable encounter with the risen Jesus, is not kidding. But what are we to do with this scripture? I suggest we keep “tasting” it  - like a piece of hard candy, until we get to the raspberry in the middle.

That first imperative, “Rejoice always…” makes me want to say, “But this would mean I can’t be moody…I can’t worry…I can’t fear the future…and I do!” Paul, are you telling me that because you have looked into the face of the transformed human Jesus your moods, your worries, your fears became a waste of time? Are you telling me the same?

Why are you, who were beaten, shipwrecked, and finally beheaded, always quietly rejoicing, no matter what life dealt out to you? What had you discovered?

Then it dawns on me that because you have his word for it, you have something more powerful than the most elaborate insurance policy. Ah…but there’s the catch, for you, and for me: you took him at his word. I still need to really do that…seriously. I too have been told…”Do not be afraid…I have loved you with an everlasting love…I will be with you until the end…” So that’s it. That’s why, no matter what happened to you, your soul wore that confident little grin. You knew you had the ultimate security come hell or high water. So that’s my challenge. I have to make the leap. I need to set my face like flint…hanging on to that assurance. I need to keep focused, like you, on that unforgettable face. It’s my post-Easter Penticostal challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment