Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Checking Priorities



The autumn is here in earnest, and the trees are ridding themselves of their leaves with abandon,
knowing in some secret way that they will be back…all new and green. Harvests are in. We are getting ready for
the winter sleep. The pace of the year slows down. It’s time to take stock.

The readings of November are pointing to a way to do that. Their target will be the Feast of Christ the King as
the liturgical year comes to a triumphant close, but on the way there we will be called to check out what takes
top place in our lives.

Baptism has firmly positioned us in Christ – that’s the truth. But we struggle with the day-to-day hangover of
the sin-of-the-world trying to suck us back into the sin-sense of isolation from him – and that’s the lie. Nothing
can separate us from him, no matter if we feel that way. So we are challenged to claim the deepest truth of our
lives: I am clothed with Christ, and nothing…really absolutely nothing, can separate me from him. My sins
mess up our relationship, but he is with me even in my falls, as is clear from his passion.
So it is time to reclaim my deepest truth. John has Jesus say it this way: “I am in you, and you are in me.” What
would happen if I spent this month claiming this as I put my feet on the floor in the morning, or if from my
sick-bed I said, “Lord, your presence with me is the truth, Help me to keep this in mind today. No matter what
happens, I’m not alone.”

This can really reset my spiritual compass. This reveals who is King in my life. It’s not my fear, it’s not my anxiety.
It’s this One who has bonded my poor self to his greatness, never to be parted. This One is my top priority.

Lord,
The air is filled with the scent of crumbling leaves.
In a final flash of color they let go of what has been.
It’s time for me too, to lay down what has been for me this past year.
I nest it in your mercy, good or ill.
You will know what use to make of it all.
Fix my eyes, my King, on you alone,
Keeping your constant presence in my mind’s eye.
And
Help me not to miss you when the needs of others
Make their claim on me.
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment